It’s time to deck the halls. It’s also a great time to start a holiday decorating service. A holiday decorating business can be started quickly with very little expense. You can offer indoor and/or outdoor decorating depending on your skills and interests. You can even offer your homemade decorations and crafts to make more money.
To start a holiday decorating service:
1. Decide what type of decorating you’ll do. Will you focus just on indoor or outdoor decorating or offer both? Will you create decorations, such as wreaths from cuttings or will you use what the client already has? Will you include planning and obtaining materials as part of your service or will you simply show up and decorate with the materials the client has on hand?
2. Decide what to charge. Be sure to include the value of your time, as well as your overhead, such as travel expenses and materials.
3. Pull together needed materials such as ladders, scissors, wire and any other items you’ll need to decorate the home.
4. Contact your city or county about a business license. These are usually easy and affordable to obtain.
5. Decorate your own home. Take pictures and use them in a portfolio and brochure to show to potential clients. Consider offering to decorate a family member or friend’s house for free in exchange for portfolio pictures and a testimonial.
6. Create a marketing plan. Start by identifying the most likely people to hire you such as seniors or busy families. Run an ad or send a press release to the local paper about your service. Develop a brochure and business cards that you can give away to people you meet. Use your network of family and friends to get referrals. Post fliers in local hot spots such as grocery stores, gas stations, banks and churches.
While a holiday decorating service is a seasonal business, you may be able to parlay it into a full-time business by adding it to a home staging or decorating, or handyman business.
To learn more about opening a holiday decorating business, check out these resources below:
Decorating elves find fun in the details – News story about a holiday decoration service
About Leslie Truex
Leslie Truex is an ideaphoric writer, speaker, entrepreneur, social worker and mom trying to do it all from the comfort of her home. Since 1998, she's been helping others create careers they love by providing work-at-home information and resources through Work-At-Home Success.
Connect with Leslie: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Google + | Pinterest
Sign up for the newsletter below to get more great tools and resources.
Note: Work-At-Home Success contains advertising as well as screened work-at-home jobs and resources. Some posts may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive compensation if you register or buy using the link. Occasionally, WAHS publishes "Supporting Contributor" posts or paid reviews for which compensation is paid. These posts are marked as such. All opinions are my own. Click here for full details and disclosures.