8 Free Ways to Work At Home
Discover Free Work At Home Ideas
The old adage, “You need money to make money,” isn’t necessarily true. More than money you need desire and elbow grease. If you’re serious about earning money from home, here are a few ways you can get started without any investment.
1. Work-At-Home Telecommuting Job
Legitimate employers never charge to hire you, making getting a home-based job a great way to work from home without investing any money. However, you can’t just sign up for a job. Work-at-home jobs are obtained like any other job; you need the skills and experience the employer is looking for. Check out WAHS’s Job page for information about searching for work-at-home jobs and recent job posts. Be sure to check out the WAHS Job board and sign up for the WAHS newsletter, which sends jobs twice a week plus comes with a free work-at-home job report.
Other places to look for legitimate work-at-home jobs include FlexJobs ($ -read my review of FlexJobs) which offers guaranteed-scam free work at home and flexible work options.
Similar to a job, freelancing allows you to offer your skills to businesses that need them. Many freelancers work for a variety of companies, which provides a little more security than working for one employer. Upwork (formally Odesk and Elance) is good place to start building a freelance career. Fiverr is another. While many freelance jobs at these sites don’t pay great, you can get experience and references. Once you have a few freelance gigs under your belt, you can go on your own, charging more and getting new clients through other sources such as social media and networking.
For flexibility and variety, microworking is a great choice. Many businesses need small tasks completed such as researching or creating a spreadsheet. As a microworker, the pay isn’t that great, but you can pick and choose the work, which is plentiful. Check out WAHS’s article about microworking which includes 24 microwork resources.
4. Home Based Service Business
Offering a service is one of the fastest and most affordable ways to start making money from home, especially if you use skills you already you have. Once you have a service to offer, your goal is to find people to hire you. Letting your friends and family know about your service and using social media are free ways to generate clients. Check out How to Start a Home Based Service Business Quickly and Cheaply for more information.
5. Blogging and Affiliate marketing
While the most successful bloggers have invested in a domain name and webhosting, you can get started for free through a resource like Blogger. The trick to making money blogging is to pick a topic people want to read about, provide readers with great content, and marketing. Once you have people reading your blog, you can make money through affiliate programs (companies pay you a referral commission for sending new customers), contextual advertising such as Adsense, sponsored posts, and other advertising sources.
Be sure to read Blogging 101 for an overview of how to make money blogging. You can also read articles; five types of blogging formats and how blogs make money. Digital Writer Success has complete step-by-step details on making money through blogging.
6. Sell Your Stuff
Do you have items cluttering the house? Why not sell them? There are many places you can sell your unused and unwanted items, including trash like paper towel rolls.
- Ebay is the most well-known place for selling your used items.
- Amazon is a great place to sell used-books and other items. Check out How to Make Money at Home Selling on Amazon FBA
- Etsy is the place to sell your home-made goods. But did you know that Esty crafters need affordable materials such as wine corks and toilet paper rolls?
- Craigslist is ideal for selling larger items locally. But stay safe by arranging to meet potential buyers in a public place.
Here are a few other places you can sell your stuff besides eBay.
7. Rent Your Stuff
Yep, you read that right. There are places where you can rent a room, your car, your wedding gown, your lawn mower and more.
- Airbnb allows you to rent a room in your home. You don’t necessarily need to live in a travel hotspot.
- Relayrides is a source for renting out your car, but check with your insurance company to make sure your car is covered if you rent it.
- Zilok is a place you can rent just about anything from a sewing machine, baby exerciser toy, moped and wedding dress. Snapgoods is another resource to check out.
Check out this list of ideas of things you can rent for extra money, plus more resources for renting them out.
8. Use Your Phone
There are a variety of free apps that will pay you money for doing tasks.
- Gigwalk will pay you to snap pictures for others. Check out this video following a Gigwalker.
- Fieldagent works a bit like mystery shopping. Download the app, fill out information about you, then find assignments in your area, complete the assignment and get paid.
Check out these 58 other phone apps that can save and make you money.
Do you have another free way to work at home? Let me know below!
[click_to_tweet tweet=”8 free legitimate #workthome ideas and resources that you can start now including work at home jobs, and other online income ideas.” quote=”8 free legitimate #workthome ideas and resources that you can start now including work at home jobs, and other online income ideas.”]