Over at Marketer’s Mojo and Nicole on the Net, Angela and Nicole have been sharing their daily to-do’s with readers. Their goal is to be more productive, which I can use as well. But I thought it would help you get an idea of what goes on behind the scenes. Too often I feel like the “gurus” suggest that all you need to do to make money at home is post a website and then head to beach. But working at home is…well work! Not all my days are alike. Some days I might have interviews with the media or for the podcast. My projects change a lot, so from one week to the next I’ve got something new going on. But I can give you an idea of some of the activities I undertake each day. Here is what I did today:
7 am – roll out of bed to see the kids off to school.
7:20 am – crash on the couch. I was going to get up and work, but I was pooped, so I snoozed a little longer.
9 am – Finally at my desk after a breakfast smoothie.
9 am to 11:00 –
- checked personal email,
- wrote several articles for a health and wellness site I freelance for,
- posted jobs at Work-At-Home Success,
- checked business email,
- responded to questions posted to me through AllExperts
11:00 to 1 pm
- got coffee,
- checked Facebook, Twitter
- finished lesson for Work-At-Home Success University
- Wrote cover letter and packaged two copies of Jobs Online: How to Find and Get Hired to a Work-At-Home Job to send to the Virginia Festival of the Book as part of my application to be a speaker at the festival in March 2012.
1 pm to 4:00
- Visited the post office to mail books
- Stopped at the library to read magazines – they are a great resource for finding ideas for blogs and articles. Used Evernote on my Droid to take down ideas.
- Back home, checked morning and afternoon HARO reports for requests for experts. Sent pitches in response to two requests.
- Kids are getting off the bus.
4:00 to 5:00
- Checked in with the kids – remind them about homework and chores.
- Exercised – usually I like to exercise before lunch, but I didn’t get a chance, so I headed out and ran 2.5 miles (it was better than nothing!)
- Took a break for a few minutes.
5:30 to 7:00 Fixed and had dinner with the family. Tonight it was fajitas!
The rest of the night I’ll probably read in the living room while my hubby watches football. Before heading to bed at 11 pm or so, I’ll check personal and business email one more time, then shut the computer down.
Other tasks I might do during the day include write articles to promote my sites or to sell to other media, work on new book projects, pitch stories to the media for publicity, and website maintenance.
Leslie Truex is an ideaphoric writer, speaker, entrepreneur, social worker and mom trying to do it all from the comfort of her home. Since 1998, she's been helping others create careers they love by providing work-at-home information and resources through Work-At-Home Success.
Note: Work-At-Home Success contains advertising as well as screened work-at-home jobs and resources. Some posts may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive compensation if you register or buy using the link. Occasionally, WAHS publishes "Supporting Contributor" posts or paid reviews for which compensation is paid. These posts are marked as such. All opinions are my own. Click here for full details and disclosures.