This post may include affiliate links or compensated content. Click here for our disclosure policy
Tax season is upon us and many people need help to take advantage of every deduction possible. Many companies like Inuit are hiring people to help them fill the need as well. The need is so big, some companies are providing tax preparer course for free! And since working at home provides some unique tax issues, learning about preparing taxes can be a big help in your own tax prep. Here are some tips to becoming a tax preparer:
1. Find a local or online class. Many franchised tax prep office such as H&R Block, Jackson Hewett, and Liberty Tax (which offers free classes) offer courses in becoming a tax preparer.
2. Obtain a PTIN (Preparer Tax Identification Number) from the IRS.
3. Learn about any special licensing or registration required by your state to perform tax preparation services. The course you take should be able to help you with this, but if not, you need to research it on your own. Contact your state’s occupational department for information.
4. Find work. The company that offers the course may also hire your to work for it, but that’s not always the case. You can search for work-at-home jobs as a tax preparer on sites like CareerBuilder. Or start your own tax preparation service. Check out WAHS’ information on starting a business for tips on how to get up and running.
5. Keep up to date on new tax laws. You may be required to complete continuing education, but even if you aren’t, you’re being hired for your expertise, so you need to stay on top of tax code changes. The IRS has tons of tax information and forms to help you.