One of the fastest and easiest ways to make money online is by promoting other companies’ products and earning a commission off the sales. Although you don’t need a website, most successful affiliate marketers build a blog or website around a topic and promote products related to that topic. They also build an email list to which they send helpful tips and information, as well as occasional promotions.
Affiliate programs can be found everywhere. One of the best places to start is with products and services that you use that relate to the topic of your blog or website. If you have a weight loss blog and love a particular exercise DVD, visit the creator’s website to see if it has an affiliate program. You can also search for affiliate products and services through networks such as Commission Junction or LinkShare or through directories such as Associate Programs. Check out Clickbank as well for a host of great digital products.
To choose the most profitable affiliate programs, consider the following:
- Does the program sell products or services related to your blog topic? If you have a gardening blog, don’t have car repair affiliate ads.
- Is the company that offers the products or services reputable?
- Is the product or service priced right? Would you pay that price?
- Have you used the product or service? Having a poor quality product on your site can hurt your reputation and credibility.
- Does the affiliate vendor offer great customer service?
- Does it have a professional looking website? It doesn’t need to all the bells and whistles, but it should be clean, well-written and easy to navigate.
- Does it have an affiliate agreement?
- How is payment determined? Are you paid per referral, per sale, etc?
- When and how are you paid? Weekly? Check?
- How are commissions tracked and can you check them?
- Does it offer marketing tools to help you promote the product or service?
The most profitable affiliate programs are going to be those that offer a quality product or service that your readers want or need. But it also needs to provide you with effective marketing tools, the ability to track how well your links are doing, and reasonable payment options.
For detailed steps on making money through affiliate marketing, check out Work-At-Home Success University’s Affiliate Marketing Success.
Leslie Truex is an ideaphoric writer, speaker, entrepreneur, social worker and mom trying to do it all from the comfort of her home. Since 1998, she's been helping others create careers they love by providing work-at-home information and resources through Work-At-Home Success.
Note: Work-At-Home Success contains advertising as well as screened work-at-home jobs and resources. Some posts may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive compensation if you register or buy using the link. Occasionally, WAHS publishes "Supporting Contributor" posts or paid reviews for which compensation is paid. These posts are marked as such. All opinions are my own.
View complete details on WAHS' privacy and disclosures.