You have decided you want to work at home but you aren’t sure where to start? This page will help guide you through the process of deciding what you can do to make money at home and making a plan to achieve your goal.
- The first step is to determine what exactly you need to earn while working at home. Its probably a lot less than you earn now working outside the home. It maybe even less than you think if you are currently not working at all. Visit the Cost of Work page to calculate how much you pay to work (over 2/3 of my income went to work-related expenses when I worked outside the home). It will also help you determine how much you’ll need to earn working at home plus give you ideas on how to save more making it easier to achieve your goal.
- Next, research different ideas on making money at home. Visit the Home Business Resources page to learn about how to start a business and brainstorm different business ideas. Visit the Business Ideas to read articles on a variety of different businesses. Check out Work-At-Home Opportunities page to see the different opportunities available to you. Or, if you’d rather find a work-at-home job,visit the At Home Jobs area to learn about how to find a legitimate work-at-home job.
- Once you have decided what you’d like to do to earn money from home, develop a plan for reaching your goal. Your plan is your road map that will get from work-at-home wannabe to work-at-home success. Both the Home Business pages and the At Home Jobs pages outline different things you need to research, evaluate and consider as you make your plan of action. The important thing is to do something every day that is related to your goal. It could be as simple as visiting a work-at-home web site or reading a chapter in a work-at-home book. Or maybe you will research information needed for a business or marketing plan.
Feeling stuck in your effort to work at home. Time and motivation seem to be the big obstacles to finding work-at-home success. Here are some tips help:
- Don’t wait for time to show up. Make time for your goals. You may need to get up earlier or stay up later. Or give up a TV or a hobby in the short run so you can focus on your work-at-home goal. The important thing to realize is that you won’t build a work-at-home career on haphazard pockets of time.
- Create a visualization of your work-at-home day. Pretend like you’ve reached your goal and think about what your perfect work-at-home day will be like. When do you wake in the morning? Do you get dressed or lounge in your jammies? Do you go to the park? Do you take your laptop with you? Write it down and post it some where that you can read it often. Keep your work-at-home dream with you always so it doesn’t get lost in the shuffle of every day life.
- Keep a journal or check list that shows where you started and how much you have achieved so far. Each day you work on something and mark it off your list is one day closer to reaching your goal.
- Never stop. The only people who never achieve Work-At-Home Success are those who give up. It may take a lon g time, years even, but if you stick with it, you will achieve you r dream of working at home.
Leslie Truex is an ideaphoric writer, speaker, entrepreneur, social worker and mom trying to do it all from the comfort of her home. Since 1998, she's been helping others create careers they love by providing work-at-home information and resources through Work-At-Home Success.
Note: Work-At-Home Success contains advertising as well as screened work-at-home jobs and resources. Some posts may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive compensation if you register or buy using the link. Occasionally, WAHS publishes "Supporting Contributor" posts or paid reviews for which compensation is paid. These posts are marked as such. All opinions are my own.
View complete details on WAHS' privacy and disclosures.