In this economy people are not only looking for a stable income, but in many cases they are in dire need of fast cash now. While generating a stable, steady income from home takes time, there are ways to generate tie-over money fairly quickly; this week even. Here are some of the fastest ways to make money at home.
Amazon.com – You can sell a variety of your used items on Amazon.com, but my preference is books. I have tons of them and seem to always be bringing in more. Fairly new non-fiction sells best, but fiction and other types of books can sell well.
- Start by gathering all the books in your house, stacking them cover side down.
- Visit Amazon.com and click on “Sell Your Stuff” in the “Features and Services” box on the left hand side of the page.
- Click on “Start Selling” under the “Sell Your Stuff” option.
- Find the ISBN code on the back of the book and enter it in the box (you can enter the title or keyword but I find the ISBN is faster). The ISBN is listed near the bar code of the book, usually on the back cover. Click on “Start Selling”.
- Enter the condition of the book such as any marks or defects. Click “Continue”
- Enter a price. On the right hand side of the page you’ll see how much the book is currently listed as a used item. I always choose a lower price. My goal is to make money quickly and anyone buying used is buying to save money. So I always list mine lower than the current lowest price.
- Indicate how many copies you have.
- Give the zip code of where the book is located (your location).
- Indicated if you’ll provide expedited shipping. Click “Continue”.
- If the listing looks good, click “Submit Your Listing”.
- If you don’t already have an account, you’ll be asked to create one.
Go through the process to add as many books as you’ve got. Be sure to pick up some quality mailing envelops to send your books. Amazon.com gives you a shipping credit to help cover the cost of mailing the book. Unless otherwise indicated (i.e. expedited shipping), ship the book by media mail. Amazon.com pays you through direct deposit every 14 days.
eBay – I like eBay for selling all my clutter. I’m always amazed at what can sell at eBay. In the past I’ve sold a chili pepper wreath, an old college football ticket, and some of my son’s Pokemon cards. eBay requires a little more planning and effort than selling on Amazon.com, but it can be worth it if your items sell well. To sell on ebay:
- Gather items around the house that you don’t want anymore.
- Take a quality picture of the items. While eBay does offer stock photos for many items, most people prefer to view the actual item.
- Visit eBay and register for an account.
- Log into your account and click on “Sell”. eBay is intuitive and will guide you through the process of classifying your item.
- Provide details about your item. Be as descriptive as possible in the title to encourage people to click on your listing. Don’t just say a blue dress. Instead indicate the brand, size and other details.
- Upload the picture you took of the item.You get one free picture. You can add more for an additional fee.
- Include a description of your item. Again provide as much detail as you can to help buyers.
- Put in a starting bid amount and auction length (number of days).
- Indicate how you’d like to be paid. Most people prefer to use Paypal as its fast and more secure than a check.
- Give shipping information (cost and method) if you’ll be passing the shipping costs on to the buyer.
- If you need to charge tax, include that next. Indicate if you’ll accept returns and what the return policy will be.
- When finished, hit the “Continue” button to view your listing. If its acceptable, click on “List Item”. If it needs work click on “Edit”.
Like Amazon.com, eBay doesn’t require payment until after your item has sold. If you use Paypal to accept payments, you can get a Paypal debit card or ask Paypal to direct deposit the funds into your bank account (this takes a few days).
Don’t forget Craigslist.org as a source to sell your unused and unwanted stuff, particularly stuff that is too big to ship. To maximize sales on Craigslist, add a picture of your item. For safety, arrange to meet potential buyers in a public place.
There are a host of other ways that have the potential of making money fairly quickly (i.e. affiliate marketing, contract/freelance jobs), but there is no guarantee and usually it can take a little time. If you don’t have time, the above options offer solid ways to generate income quickly.