Elle Clarke is the Publisher of I AM QUEEN Magazine, CEO of Elle Clarke Media Group and is an Amazon Bestselling Author. She is a sexual assault expert and her mission is to help women to embrace the pain of their past, transform that pain into profit, and embrace the Queen within.
1) How did you get started working from home?
I always knew that I would be an entrepreneur. However, I enlisted in the police force and resigned after twelve years of service to pursue my childhood dream of writing and media.
2) How did you choose the work-at-home career you do?
I wanted to be a writer from the fifth grade, so when I finally built up the courage to leave the workforce, writing was an obvious choice.
3) How did you get started (basic initial steps)?
Well, I began to look for freelance writing jobs and at the beginning, it was very difficult to find clients willing to pay me for it. I continued writing. I wrote two books then eventually became a contributing writer for the Huffington Post and just recently Forbes. I also launched a magazine, I AM QUEEN Magazine which is focused on the total woman and because of that I have had the opportunity to work with brands like ABC, Centric, BET, Hip Hop Sisters Foundation and so much more. They key is consistency!
4) How did you get your first client or customer or job?
Wow! After writing both books I created an online course teaching people how to write and publish their own books. I merely taught them what I did. In my first course I had only one student, but since then she has seen great success in her business because of some of the things I taught her. Now, I have gotten so many new clients and I know it has a lot to do with not giving up when things seemed hopeless.
5) How do you market your business?
Well, basically my marketing strategy has been word of mouth and social media.
6) What does your usual day look like?
2. Make Breakfast.
3. Check my emails.
4. Check my social media pages.
5. Check out the list I made the day before and complete those tasks, at least try to complete them all.
6. Engage with my social media audience.
7. Find something educational to read or listen to that will help build my brand.
8. Pick up the kids.
9. Write down the tasks for the following day of how I’m going to take over the world! Lol.
7) What do you know now that you wish you knew when you started?
That I need a team to run my business effectively. I can’t-do it all alone.
8) What advice would you give someone who wants to work from home?
Research the market you are interested in and ensure that you are able to sustain your family in the absence of your 9-5. Remember that consistency is key and above all, be your biggest cheerleader. Not everyone is going to support you but once you are committed to the journey you will win!
Find Her Online:
Leslie Truex is an ideaphoric writer, speaker, entrepreneur, social worker and mom trying to do it all from the comfort of her home. Since 1998, she's been helping others create careers they love by providing work-at-home information and resources through Work-At-Home Success.
Note: Work-At-Home Success contains advertising as well as screened work-at-home jobs and resources. Some posts may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive compensation if you register or buy using the link. Occasionally, WAHS publishes "Supporting Contributor" posts or paid reviews for which compensation is paid. These posts are marked as such. All opinions are my own.
View complete details on WAHS' privacy and disclosures.