This post may include affiliate links or compensated content. Click here for our disclosure policy
Janet Scarborough Civitelli is a career coach who helps clients to choose, change, or advance their careers.
1) How did you get started working from home?
I spent many years in jobs with long commutes of up to three hours per day. I also moved several times when I had thriving businesses and then I had to start them all over again in the new city. I finally became smarter and decided to start a location independent consulting company. This means no more commuting and no more geographic restrictions.
2) How did you choose the work-at-home career you do?
I was already a psychologist and a specialist in career development. The new part was learning how to migrate the business model from face-to-face meetings to virtual ones.
3) How did you get started (basic initial steps)?
I advertised my company on my website and told a lot of people what services I offer.
4) How did you get your first client or customer or job?
Blogging has been the best marketing strategy. I write about career decision-making, career change, job search, and workplace psychology.
5) How do you market your business?
Networking and writing.
6) What does your usual day look like?
About 1/3 marketing and writing, 1/3 research and reading, and 1/3 meeting with clients.
7) What do you know now that you wish you knew when you started?
I wish I started telecommuting much sooner. I also wish I had written more books earlier in my career but I plan to make that more of a priority now.
8) What advice would you give someone who wants to work from home?
Choose work that is compatible with working-from-home and then commit to finding or creating a niche that works well for you.
Find Her Online:
Website: Vocation Village